Located just over an hour south of Sydney, New South Wales, the Southern Highlands is the perfect weekend escape for anyone looking to get away and unwind from the hustle and bustle of big city life.
The Southern Highlands attracts well over a million visitors each year who not only come to enjoy the lifestyle the Southern Highlands offers, but to also enjoy the peace and tranquility of the Highlands. From the breath-taking scenery of the countryside, to the boutique stores and luxury resorts, you can find yourselves miles away from the burdens of modern living, unwinding to the sounds of the natural world.
Visit the Southern Highlands.
The Highlands offers an abundance of accommodation catering to all family sizes and budgets. Weekend escapes offer visitors a chance to delve into the subtleties of Highlands living. For more on accommodation in the area (everything from Caravan Parks to Luxury Resorts), visit our Highlands Accommodation page.
When visiting the many towns and villages of the Highlands, you'll always find plenty to see and do, with a plethora of antiques and bookstores, regular weekend markets, open gardens, rain forests and national parks, or just having a family picnic, life becomes the simple pleasure it was always meant to be. For ages young and old, you'll find the Southern Highlands to be quite the charming experience. More information on the area can be found at the okTravel Southern Highlands page
About this Southern Highlands Guide.
The Southern Highlands Online was started with the intention of offering free internet exposure to the smaller local businesses, and as such was the first free online business and community directory in the area. Although it has since expanded to include tourism and accommodation information, the smaller businesses are what we care most about. We continue to strive for sustainability without the exploitation of local resources.
Popular Business and Community Listings.
Below are some of the more popular businesses or community groups listed in the Southern Highlands Online Business and Community Directory.
Some Fun Facts about the Highlands.
Sure there's quite a few things to see and do when in the Southern Highlands, but here are some facts you might not know about the area.
- The Wingecarribee Shire covers an overall area of 2,700 square kilometres.
- In the 2006 census, the total population was recorded at 42,272, with the average age being 42, and the average wage sitting around the $462 mark. Just under 45% of eligible workers in the Highlands actually have jobs. We're not really sure what the rest do.
- That pop star everyone loved to hate, Sir Alex Lloyd, had spent an eventful weekend around the area filming the music video to his smash hit single 'Amazing'.
- Japanese Musician Chihei Hatakeyama found Bowral audiences to be one of the most pleasant he'd experienced.
- The main towns of the Southern Highlands are Bowral, Moss Vale, Mittagong (which tends to include Welby, Willow Vale, Braemar and Balaclava), and Bundanoon.
- Countless Australian celebrities consider the Southern Highlands their home away from their celebrity lives.
- The Hilltop Hoods are not from Hill Top in the Southern Highlands (they're from Adelaide).
- Along with the main towns of the Highlands, there are many smaller villages such as Robertson, Berrima, Sutton Forest, Exeter, Fitzroy Falls, Hill Top, Yerrinbool, Colo Vale, New Berrima, Burrawang, Penrose, Wingello, Avoca and Balmoral Village.
- Alex Murray-Leslie from electro artists 'Chicks on Speed' grew up in Bowral, as did Chaser sort-of funny man Craig Reucassel, and Trent from the Holy Soul.
- Most of the Southern Highlands is located at or above 640 metres above sea level.