Protecting your privacy
Our respect for our customers' right to privacy of their personal information is paramount. We have policies and procedures to ensure that all personal information, no matter how or where it is obtained, is handled sensitively, securely, and in accordance with the National Privacy Principles.
Set out below is information that Highlands by Design is required to communicate to our customers. We recommend that you keep this information for future reference. This information does not restrict Highlands by Designs' rights under the Privacy Act in any way.
Our Commitment to Privacy
At Highlands by Design, we understand the importance you attach to information that identifies you ('personal information'), and protecting the confidentiality of that information is fundamental to the way we do business. We treat very seriously the ongoing trust you have in us to keep information we have about you private and confidential.
- matters of which you should be aware regarding information we may collect about you;
- our policies on the management of personal information;
- generally, what sort of information we hold, for what purposes, and how we collect, hold, use and disclose that information;
- how you can check, update or delete your personal details;
- our internet security procedures;
- cookies and how we use them to save you time, and
- Highlands by Design's compliance with applicable laws.
Highlands by Design
Highlands by Design, is a Graphic Design Company, and is responsible for Southern Highlands and related print, voice, electronic, wireless and online products, as well as a range of advertising, media, content, location and other design services.
Your personal information
Personal information held by Highlands by Design may include your name, current and previous addresses, telephone/mobile phone number, e-mail address, and preferences for using our websites. We also hold details of your Highlands by Design services including their status.
If you choose not to provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
Occasionally, you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to Highlands by Design (eg about your authorised representatives). If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to Highlands by Design and advise them that we can be contacted for further information (see 'How to contact us' below).
How we collect personal information
Highlands by Design collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you provide information by phone, in marketing coupons or application forms or when you submit information to us through our websites (eg by email or cookies);
- from publicly available sources of information;
- from our own records of how you use our services; or
- when legally required to do so.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used in order to:
- verify your identity;
- assist you to subscribe to our services;
- provide the services you require, including directory services, through a number of media;
- administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- make changes to your profile;
- respond to any queries or feedback you may have;
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- research and develop our services;
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for us to provide you with a better service;
- maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems.
Also, your personal information is collected so Highlands by Design can promote and market its services to you. We do this to keep you informed of our products, services, special offers or products we believe you will find valuable. If you do not want us to promote and market our products, services and special offers to you please email us using our contact form. In relation to marketing and promotional material sent by email, we will only send such material if you elect to receive it (ie opt-in) or if it is provided in response to your request. You can indicate your opt-in preferences on our web sites or our marketing coupons (where provided).
When we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the services you require and for the purposes set out above, Highlands by Design may disclose your personal information to organisations outside Highlands by Design. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to Highlands by Design providing our services to you. These organisations may carry out our:
- customer enquiries;
- mailing systems;
- billing and debt-recovery functions;
- information technology services;
- marketing, telemarketing and sales services;
- market research; and
- web site usage analysis.
Highlands by Design takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or legal advisers (when requested by you to do so);
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law;
- organisations who manage our business and corporate strategies, including those involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables) and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions (eg securitisation);
We do not disclose names and addresses to third parties for the purposes of allowing them to direct market their products and services. However, from time to time, we may use the personal information we have collected from you to identify products and services that may be of interest to you. We may then contact you to let you know about these products or services.
When you first enter into a relationship with us, we will ask for your consent to do this. Of course, you can choose not to receive direct marketing information from us at any time, and we will honour your wishes.
Highlands by Design's web sites
Highlands by Design provides products and services via our various web sites. When you visit our sites, our web servers record anonymous information such as the time, date and URL of the request. This information assists us to improve the structure of our web sites and monitor their performance.
Highlands by Design may use 'cookies' on various web sites. Cookies are an industry standard and most major web sites use them. A cookie is a small text file that our web sites may place on your computer. Usually, cookies are used as a means for our web sites to remember your preferences. As such, cookies are designed to improve your experience of our web sites.
In some cases, cookies may collect and store personal information about you. Highlands by Design extends the same privacy protection to your personal information, whether gathered via cookies or from other sources. Most internet browsers are pre-set to accept cookies, however you can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used. However, if you disable cookies, you may not be able to access certain areas of our web sites or take advantage of the improved web site experience that cookies offer.
Highlands by Design also collects Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. Highlands by Design collects and manages IP addresses as part of the service of providing internet session management, search engine optimisation, and for security purposes.
Acts in the course of journalism
Highlands by Design commits to the Australian Press Council Privacy Standards in relation to material prepared by Highlands by Design, its employees and its agents in the course of journalism.. Highlands by Design publishes some material which is licensed to it by other organisations. Highlands by Design will take reasonable steps to ensure that each organisation which supplies it with material for publication has publicly committed to standards for the purpose of section 7B(4)(b) of the Privacy Act 1988. If Highlands by Design receives a privacy related complaint relating to any material supplied to it by another organisation, then it will formally request that organisation to deal with the privacy complaint in a fair and efficient manner.
Third party sites
Keeping your information secure
Keeping your personal information confidential means that we will protect it from misuse and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Only authorised users can access your personal information, and access is limited for approved purposes only.
We maintain physical security over our paper and electronic data stores and premises such as locks and security systems. We also maintain computer and network security such as firewalls (security measures for the Internet), and user identifiers and passwords to control access to computer systems.
We will also only keep your information for as long as it is needed. If your personal information is no longer needed for the purpose it was collected in the first place, we will either destroy or permanently de-identify the information.
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
Highlands by Design takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That's why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up to date with changes to personal information such as your name or address.
Further information on privacy is available at the website of the Office of the Federal Privacy Commissioner. You can also visit the Highlands by Design website.