History of Parks in Bowral
In September 1881 steps were taken to get land for a park. In October 1883 the Vigilance Committee agreed to ask the Government to accept A Neich's offer of 12 acres at £52 per acre. The land was bought and named Centennial Park.
On the 26th of February 1909 the Council leased 24 acres of Anglican Church Glebe land and opened it as a public park. Council bought the land in 1934. In 1938 it was proposed to rename this area Bradman Oval after the famous sportsman and this was done. On the 1st of October 1954 a new pavilion opened at Bradman Oval. In March 1910a move to obtain the land known as Corbett Gardens was made and in January 1911 a public meeting elected trustees for the ground originally called "Denmeads Paddock". The area was named Corbett Gardens in December 1911 after Ada Sullivan Corbett who was responsible for the purchase of the land. In September 1913 a design for laying out the park was accepted and it was opened in December 1914 with a Band Rotunda also being opened. In August 1920 Council took over the land. The old Rotunda was dismantled and the base was reconstructed into a modern bandstand in 1958.
Robert Loesby gave ten acres for a park in 1923 and council later bought an additional three and a half acres. It had been turned into a first class sports ground by 1925 with over £1,400 spent on tree lopping and new buildings. The park became known as Loseby Park containing 2 ovals and a trotting track.
Joshua Stokes bought 60 acres on the Gib in 1919 at a cost of £150 with Council then deciding to apply to the Government for funds to purchase the property. Stokes held it in trust while until the money was available to buy it. Stokes had been the alderman for 23 years but lost his seat because it was alleged that ratepayers' money had been wasted on the project. Stokes son unveiled a plaque dedicating the area to his father's memory on the 26th of November 1950. A motion was carried by Council to propose a road and total cost to the top of the Gib but it took until April 1937 for the work on the scenic road to commence. The road was renamed Oxley Drive in 1951. The Gib has a vantage point where panoramic views to the south, north and west can be seen. Venables Park was the newest parkland to the municipality. It was named after His Excellency the Governor HF Venables who opened the park in October 1956. He held a long service record with the local council. In 1951 College Park, a sporting area came into use.