Moss Vale History Schools
The history of education and schooling in Moss Vale.
A meeting was held in August 1867 to discuss establishing a school. John Morrice MLA gave one acre of land, which was approved of by the meeting. An application for the establishment of a school was made to the Council of Education, which they agreed to. In September 1869 Professor Badham opened the school that cost over £400. A tender was accepted in 1884 for a new building and additions, which were made in 1890. An additional classroom, infant's room and additions were made in 1909 at a cost of £800. In 1936 more land was bought and in 1958 a new infants school was built that was officially opened in 1959.
In February 1884 steps were taken to establish the Sisters of St. Joseph of Providence in Moss Vale. Two sisters had already arrived with another on the way. The school began operations in a rented house called "Kalurgan House".
In January 1891 the Dominican nuns had bought "Elm Court" from Hon. A Campbell and they proposed to open a school there in February. The school was known as Mount St Marys and was opened by Cardinal Moran on the 9th of March 1891. In 1901 additions were made at a cost of more than £3000. In 1916 further additions were made and new building being built in 1925 and opened in March. The Bishop of Wollongong blessed the additions in December 1955.
On the 12th of October 1897 W Inman opened a preparatory school at "Erowal", Bellevue Hill with the school being transferred to "Carrara", Rose Bay in February 1899. In late 1901 the school was moved a house on the Moss Vale-Robertson Road called "Hamilton" which was built by Alick Osbourne who married Charles Throsby's daughter. The school was then renamed to "Tudor House" with Mr John Medley being Headmaster. The Church of England acquired the school in 1925. In 1936 the dormitory had a wing added and the assembly hall was extended. The school launched a War Memorial appeal in 1947 and collected £4900. Sir John Northcott opened the War Memorial Hall in July 1958.
In January 1877 Mrs Campbell opened a school for "young ladies". A former teacher at Dr Sly's school in Sydney, Mr Baker, opened a grammar school in February 1889. Miss Allison established a boarding house for girls soon after at "Hazelton". Mrs Baker who was assisted by Miss Buckland also opened at another school about the same time. Lee Pulling established a boy's school in Spring Street in 1895. Miss Mein who opened a school, which she conducted until 1952, bought "Kooyong" a house on Sutton Road.